Thursday, March 25, 2010

In This Season

It struck me this morning that I am always looking forward to something other than what I have. Longing to have the days of diaper changing and toddler tantrums behind me, I forget to appreciate the beauty of this season of my life.

In this season:

I have a sink full of dirty dishes, but I have a table filled with children;

I have laundry exploding from the rafters, but I have little girls changing their clothes ten times as they put on a fashion show for their siblings;

I have hand prints all over my windows, but I have baby-hands banging on the glass in a display of pure excitement that Daddy is home from work;

I have to make seven sandwiches for lunch, but all my kids still live at home;

I have to take an appointment with my oldest daughter so she can schedule me between her phone calls and text messages, but she still comes to me first when she needs advice;

I have to wait until 8:00 to have any alone time with my husband, but during the day the house is alive with the result of our love for each other;

I have toddlers sitting on me and children pulling me in every direction, but some day there won't be anyone left who longs to snuggle in my arms singing lullabies.

This season is so precious, and as difficult as the days may be, it is so short.

I don't want to sit on the fence anymore. I don't want to alternate between wishing I'd done more in my past and longing for the future.

I'm going to love every today.

No comments:

Post a Comment