Saturday, December 12, 2009

Blinded

I woke up in a great mood this morning. Why? Because I was leaving the house to have breakfast with an amazing friend. Just the two of us, sans screaming and whining children. Complete bliss.

I was so anxious to get to the restaurant that I decided to forgo the "scraping of the windshield" part of going anywhere if you live in Wisconsin. After all, I could technically see. And besides, the beautiful ice crystals that danced across my line of vision were very pretty.

All was well for 75% of my drive. Then I turned left, right into the path of the sun.

Uh oh.

I couldn't see *anything*. Nothing. Just a brilliantly bright light.

Thankfully there was a side road directly to my left. Truly, I wouldn't have been able to go any further if it hadn't been there. I immediately realized why people scrape their windshields before driving. Apparently it only took me 16 years to learn that lesson.

So I made it to my breakfast by parking in the lot adjacent to that side street, in the opposite direction of the morning sun. I hurried to meet my friend and had a fantastic time catching up with her and sharing how God was moving in our lives.

I told her about my morning journey, and she laughed. "There is a parable in there somewhere," she said (proving once again why I just adore her.)

She was totally right. How many times in my life have I allowed myself a thin veil of the world? After all, I can still see God through it, can't I walk that fine line?

No, I can't. Because time after time I've seen that allowing the shadow blinds me to the perfection of His light.

Yes, it takes extra time. I have to make time to read the Bible every day, I have to remind myself to be in prayer. But dedicating those sections of my day to Him keeps my vision clear and my paths straight.

It's so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment