Monday, December 21, 2009

Yes in the Morning, No at Night

For those of you who are still following my journey here, thanks for sticking by me during my recent days of absence. As Christmas nears, my time has been claimed left and right by various activities that the children have. Things will slow down just in time for me to pack our bags and head to Rochester for a week.

I thought I'd give a general update on my say Yes lifestyle.

In some areas, I've been doing really well. I have been in the Word of God almost every day (I think I have only missed one day since starting this blog). I am still studying Judges with the Precept upon Precept study, and I have read Genesis, Exodus, and Leviticus in the last three weeks. I am learning so much and have developed a new appreciation for the gift the Bible is.

I have continued to stay open to the will of God. There haven't been very many "obvious" moments where I know that God wants me to do something, but on the other hand, that means that I haven't had to have the experience of being disobedient.

There are definitely some areas in which I still struggle. Most of them deal with things that involve energy and discipline: housework, healthy lifestyle living (diet and exercise), and having the fortitude to truly do for the children what they deserve (undivided attention being so difficult sometimes with seven).

I find that in the morning, I have firm convictions. I will keep the house picked up as my children tornado through it, I will only eat foods that provide my body nutritional value, I will read to the children individually and keep the television turned off.

But towards the end of the afternoon, everything tends to fall apart. My energy starts to wane, and the children's energy doesn't. So I can't quite keep up as they create their whirlwinds, which makes me feel inadequate so I turn to junk food. The junk food makes me feel sluggish, so I turn on the television so that the children will be occupied while I try to clean up after them. The day ends with me praying for renewed strength the next day to be able to be the mother I know God wants me to be - not perfect, but better.

So this is where I am at. I have made some forward steps, like asking a dear friend to be my accountability partner for my physical health choices. Since the computer just sucks my time away, I made the decision to not use it until my morning chores are done and I have done my daily Bible study. This has helped a little.

My goal also is to post more here. I miss my quiet writing times; the way that God showed me a topic when I was praying for ideas.

I know that God did not give me seven children so that I could find out that I don't have the ability to do it right. He gave me seven children because He knew He would give me the strength to succeed. I just need to keep my eyes on Him.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I admire you for striving to do better. I admire you just for making it through every day! I feel overwhelmed with three sometimes!

    I hope in all of this you still find time to do things that are purely for recreation and relaxation... Just for you. Because down time is important too.

    ReplyDelete