Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Idolatry

I've been reading through the book of Judges, chapters 6-8. I can't say enough about the Precept upon Precept study that I have been doing, the content is just phenomenal.

So this week while looking at these versus, the study had me doing some cross referencing on idolatry. Which was actually really good timing, because Steve had just come home one night and told me that he heard a podcast that talked about the fact that idolatry isn't just worshiping idols made of wood. We make idols for ourselves in other things, like food, money, people, fame, etc.

Now thinking of those things, which certainly have and do tempt me to turn my sight from God, read this verse from Romans:

"And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,
being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.
(Romans 1:28-32)

Wow.

Now if that doesn't hit you like a ton of bricks.

And it is SO true. I know these things are wrong. But yet so many times I allow them to creep into my life. When you look at it all listed like that, it really gives you pause, doesn't it?

My prayer is that I will pay more attention to those things that I have set above God in my life, and that I will be conscious of my priorities.

When my perception was that idols were just wooden statues, I thought I had this thing in the bag.

I'm so glad that my eyes were opened to the idols of our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment