Friday, December 4, 2009

In My Tent

For years, I knew them. As if sharing blood, my heart was exposed to theirs. I drew no lines between us, my trust limitless.

The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth. (Ham was the father of Canaan.) These were the three sons of Noah, and from them came the people who were scattered over the earth.

The time came when the world pulled me down, my body falling to the ground as it fought mental battles.

Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded to plant a vineyard. When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent.

And one, for whom I would have done anything, came out from within the dark place I had revealed, speaking my truth unspeakably.

Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father's nakedness and told his two brothers outside.

Two others, in spite of rumor and gossip's tantalizing temptation, came to me with cloaks of compassion, covering and shielding me when I couldn't.

But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father's nakedness. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father's nakedness. (Genesis 9:18-23)

Betrayal versus Commitment. Judgment against Unconditional Love.

Forgiveness has long since faded the wound I felt so long ago, but I will never forget those who stood with me.

We can make a lasting impact in someone's life. Whose tent can you enter without judgment? To whom can you offer the warm garment of compassion?

No comments:

Post a Comment