Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Bathtub Moment

Imagine being in a nice, deep bathtub. The water is warm, and scented bubbles are making delicious popping sounds as you soak your worries away. When you're ready to end this little piece of heaven, instead of getting out of the water first, you simply open the drain.

The water level slowly drops. At first, you might not notice a difference.

But soon, you start to have a pretty uncomfortable feeling. You are getting really, really heavy. And as the water continues to drain, the heaviness quickly increases.

Pretty soon the weight of your body is almost unbearable. The thought of climbing out of the tub starts to feel like a chore. A few minutes ago you were luxuriating in warmth. Now you are shivering, exposed.

How much is this like our lives? When we walk with God, we don't even realize how buoyant we are. But if we allow our time with Him to drain away...soon we feel how truly heavy we become.

It reminds me of the end of the famous poem, "Footprints":

"This really bothered Him and He questioned the Lord about it. 'Lord you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.'

The LORD replied, 'My precious, precious child, I Love you and I would never leave you! During your times of trial and suffering when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.'" (Carolyn Carty)

We're walking not in our steps, but with His. We may still at times feel vulnerable, or stressed, or lonely, but we can rest in the knowledge that we are carried by our Creator.

Now when I find myself getting "too busy" to plug in to God's Word, or be in prayer, or spend time with Him, I remember the feeling of that bath water draining away.

A moment, a passage, a prayer...and I am lifted again.

No comments:

Post a Comment