Friday, October 30, 2009

Parading About

I spent a good portion of today doing something that I really wish I didn't do at all: complaining. My verbal ire was especially directed to one particular thing on today's calendar. Being the day before Halloween, it was time for the annual Halloween parade at my son and daughter's school.

Why would I complain about a parade? Well, it's more the hassle of getting there, finding a babysitter or taking the other children, finding a parking spot, finding a chair (or a spot on the wall), and waiting for fifteen minutes just to enjoy approximately 3.2 seconds of seeing each of my children prance by me in costume. To make matters worse, the parade falls right in the middle of nap time, which happens to be the one time during daylight hours when I can get something done.

So I whined. I groaned. I mumbled. Pretty much anyone who was within earshot of me today heard how much I didn't want to go to the parade.

Steve ended up working from home so that I wouldn't have to bring the children. This should have put an end to my sullenness, but it really didn't. I tried to convince him to go instead, but apparently he doesn't think his job would have wanted to hire me for an hour or so that I could replace him.

It was up to me. And so I soldiered on to do my parental duty with all the energy I could muster.

As I entered the gymnasium, I felt very convicted. I opened the book I had brought along to read as I waited, an autobiography by Pastor Greg Laurie. As I read the words, my conviction grew to the point where I felt tears pooling in my eyes.

Who was I to complain about taking a very small portion of my day to devote to something that meant so much to my kids? How God has blessed me through them! Has He not provided everything I ever prayed for in my children? Am I not thankful every day that I am able to be here to love them?

A minute or so before the children came in, the tears started flowing. I'm sure people were wondering why a mother was crying before the parade had even started, but I didn't care. I prayed right then and there for God to forgive me for my poor attitude and my careless words. I thanked Him for the opportunity to be there for Joseph and Kayanna. I praised Him that they both have teachers that care for them, and a school where they are supported and nurtured.

I had myself under control by the time the parade started. I watched eagerly as the children filed by, waiting for a glimpse of my zookeeper and baby. My heart lept as I found them and watched their faces fill with joy at seeing their mom in the crowd.

I kept thinking, "I wanted to miss this?"

When it comes time for the Christmas sing-a-long, there will be no complaints from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment