Monday, November 9, 2009

Ebb and Flow

While cleaning out the garage a couple days ago, I stumbled on a few diary pages that I had written and torn out of a notebook in 2000.

It was startling to me how much my life has changed since I penned those words, yet at the same time I felt a touch of nostalgia.

I wrote that at that point in my life, I had no one who called me their friend. My phone was silent, there were no outings or girl-time. Instead of giving in to depression, I had decided, I was going to dedicate that period of my life to growing closer to God and realizing who I was in Him.

I didn't know it then, but I know now that it would take me a full year before people I still today have as friends walked into my life. You would think that 365 days of solitude would be unbearable, but I remember those days with fondness. I took the time I would have spent on the phone or out at a restaurant, and I simply walked the path of self-discovery and God-discovery.

I truly don't think I would be where I was today if I had tried to force friendships to fill the void I felt within me.

If I ever find myself at a crossroads like that again, I hope that I will remember that God uses all things for the good of those who love Him. (Paraphrased from Romans 8:28)

3 comments:

  1. So very true. More people need to find that time to be alone and not only grow closer to God, but discover who they are. Nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say thanks for visiting and leaving comments at my blog.

    Your topic today is hitting a spot with me right now because I'm fearful of the future. I'm afraid there will be a day soon when I won't have my most precious friend near me, and although God is supposed to fulfill us, I'm fearful that I won't find Him to be enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,
    Something that has been sitting with me lately (maybe that should be my blog entry tonight!) is that God does not give us the strength to go through something until we need to go through it. That is a powerful thought, isn't it? I have been where you are many times. But God promises He will be with us and He promises that He will be enough. But He isn't going to show that to you until it is time to show it, you know? When it is time to go through it, He will carry you.
    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete