Thursday, November 26, 2009

True Thanks

There are so many things in my life that I am thankful for: my family, my children, my husband, my friends, the ability to stay home with my kids, my home...truly, there are too many to list.

But then I had a sobering thought. I am guaranteed none of these things tomorrow. They are blessings from God, but I do not have the right to them.

Would I still be thankful if I lost everything?

I think of Job, who lived the reality of the nightmare I can barely allow myself to glance at.

I hope my reaction would be the same as his. I hope that even if everything I am thankful for vanished in front of me, that I would still be thankful to God for His love for me, for His strength, and for His Son through whom I have been given the promise of eternity that will never be taken away.

So today I am thankful not only for everything I have, but for the blessing it is to have it all.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. The story of Job is something I read and hear a lot about. It is talked about in a book that has been very helpful to me, "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" - which surprisingly, is applicable to all faiths. Now, I think you know my religious leanings, but there are plenty of places I have found support, inspiration, and help, and they come from all over. And, for that I am thankful, no matter how much we have lost, we have also gained much too.

    ReplyDelete